I made this in a cooking class at Leith's in London. It's a very simple rice that always turns out like the rice served in Thai restaurants in London.
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and let stand for five minutes.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand covered for five further minutes.
- Remove the flavourings, if wished, and pile into a serving dish.
- Serve immediately, while very hot.