Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious spicy slaw adapted from a recipe courtesy of Joe's Farm Grill in Gilbert, Arizona. this is a burger joint that grows most of the food they use and has awesome food! Adapted from Guy Fieri's cookbook, "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Guy says the slaw is most amazing! Enjoy!
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 3 cups finely shredded napa cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Spicy Thai Vinaigrette (use 1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil (or corn oil)
- Whisk all ingredients except oils in a large bowl. Slowly drizzle in oils while whisking. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and lime juice if needed.
- Combine the vegetables in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Toss to mix thoroughly. Pour in the Thai vinaigrette to taste and toss to mix. Adjust, adding more if desired. Enjoy!
Loved this fresh new taste! I did not have the chili sauce and I left out the honey, but I added ground red pepper (hot) to the dressing and honey roasted peanuts to the slaw instead. I think I added more sesame oil to the dressing, because I love the taste. Had some frozen basil and some fresh cilantro--excellent addition to cabbages. This makes a huge batch--perfect for potlucks. If I had chow mein noodles, I think those would be a nice crunch too.
This is sooo flavorful and so easy to make. You can use a coleslaw mix from the grocery, but I like mixing it myself because I love napa cabbage and it's not included in a pre-mixed slaw mix. I like the idea of adding peanuts to the slaw and since I had plenty on hand - that's just what I did. This is great for a bbq or any family get-together. Made for ZWT9.
We loved this slaw! This was a refreshing change from my normal vinaigrette or yogurt sauce to avoid mayo. I might double the fresh herbs in the future. For ZWT9