Thai style chicken or beef kabobs. These are very flavorful when marinated overnight. The recipe listed is for a large group. Perfect for potlucks. (Prep time is marinade time).
- 4 lbs flank steaks or 4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 4 fluid ounces peanut oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 fluid ounce Thai fish sauce or 1 fluid ounce vietnamese fish sauce
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 ounce cilantro, minced
- 13 1⁄2 ounces peanut butter
- 12 ounces soy sauce
- 7 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 tablespoons chilies, hot
- Method for meat and marinade: Trim the meat and cut into long thin strips.
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients, add the meat, and let marinate under refrigeration for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for a least 10 minutes before you are ready to grill the satays.
- Thread the meat on the skewers, one strip per skewer.
- Skewer meat can be returned to the marinade to hold until cooking time.
- Place the skewered meat on the grill or boiler rods.
- Grill or broil undisturbed for about 1 minute, turn and grill 1 minute more for medium rare, or as needed for the desired doneness.
- Server the satays with the spicy peanut sauce.
- Method for Spicy Peanut Sauce: Process all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature before using, and stir briskly or reprocess to mix.