1 hr 8 mins
Big John's Note:
This is my take on the famous Thai dish, the real version of which I have enjoyed in Thailand on several occasions. Pad Thai is probably the most popular Thai noodle dish in the world. Like many Thai dishes it is sweet, sour, and salty all at the same time(a taste called "YUM"). Those of us that like our food spicy can put a little kick in this dish with ground chili.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) package vermicelli rice noodles, Dried
- 1/2 cup chicken breast, Without Skin cut in 1-inch strips
- 2 eggs, Beaten
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 green onions, cut in 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup baked tofu, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, Unsalted & chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turnips, Salted packaged
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1Soak noodles in a large covered bowl of water for 1 hour. Drain well before using.
- 2Stir together fish sauce, tamarind paste, lime juice, vinegar, paprika and sugar. Set aside.
- 3Place large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add oil and coat pan completely. When pan starts to smoke, add garlic and saute 5 seconds. Add turnip, dried shrimp and tofu and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Add chicken and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes until no longer pink.
- 5Remove to a bowl and let the oil settle in center of pan.
- 6Pour egg into center of pan and lightly scramble until half-cooked.(approx. 30 seconds).
- 7Add chicken mixture back to pan and mix together with egg.
- 8Add raw shrimp and cook until chicken and shrimp are both nearly done. (approx.1 minute).
- 9Add noodles and sauce mixture, folding until all liquid is absorbed.
- 10Add green onion and sprouts, cover for 30 seconds to steam.
- 11Mix in peanuts and serve.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big John's Pad Thai Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.1
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 127.2 mg
- Sodium 876.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vermicelli rice noodles