1/1 Photo of Coconut Curry Chicken
This recipe from Food & Drink magazine isn't an authentic Thai dish but its delicious! You can add diced potato, diced tomato or sliced green beans instead of or in addition to the red peppers. My hubby doesn't like spicy food so he wasn't fond of it - but I'm the cook & occasionally he will just have to suffer!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste or 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded & thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- basil leaves (to garnish, preferably Thai)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Pat chicken dry and remove any excess fat; sprinkle with turmeric.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and brown chicken on both sides; transfer to a plate (keep warm) and discard all but 1 tbsp of oil in the pan.
- 3Add curry paste and stir, mixing it with the oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add the coconut milk and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 4Stir in fish sauce, lime juice and sugar; boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Lower the heat, add the chicken with any juices, cover and simmer for 15 minutes; uncover, turn the chicken pieces and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 6Tip the pan and skim off any excess oil; add the red peppers and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked, the peppers are done to your liking and the sauce is reduced to the consistency that you prefer.
- 7Check the sauce for taste – if necessary, add some salt; sprinkle curry with basil leaves and serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Curry Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.8
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 792.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai red curry paste