Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sublime! The combination of flavours and textures in this dish is fantastic. Intense and soulful. The shrimp need to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours. From Bon Appetit, July, 1997.
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned style or freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
- 20 large shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For peanut sauce: Puree all ingredients in processor until smooth.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) For shrimp: Blend first 8 ingredients in processor until almost smooth.
- Transfer marinade to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Add shrimp and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Thread 5 shrimp onto each of 4 skewers.
- Grill until just cooked through, basting with marinade, about 2 minutes per side.
- Alternatively, you can grill shrimp under a preheated broiler.
- Serve shrimp with peanut sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice.