Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sublime! The combination of flavours and textures in this dish is fantastic. Intense and soulful. The shrimp need to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours. From Bon Appetit, July, 1997.
- 78.07 ml creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned style or freshly ground)
- 59.14 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 4.92 ml fresh lime juice
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml fish sauce (nam pla)
- 4.92 ml hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 118.29 ml canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 22.18 ml finely chopped garlic
- 22.18 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml fish sauce (nam pla)
- 9.85 ml golden brown sugar
- 20 large shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For peanut sauce: Puree all ingredients in processor until smooth.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) For shrimp: Blend first 8 ingredients in processor until almost smooth.
- Transfer marinade to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Add shrimp and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Thread 5 shrimp onto each of 4 skewers.
- Grill until just cooked through, basting with marinade, about 2 minutes per side.
- Alternatively, you can grill shrimp under a preheated broiler.
- Serve shrimp with peanut sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice.