This is THE classic sauce in which to dip many Thai or Vietnamese snacks, especially fried or roasted foods such as corn cakes, garden rolls, spring rolls, etc. One of my daughters makes this all the time and I finally wheedled the recipe out of her.
- Combine the first three ingredients in a small pan over medium heat and heat gently until sugar is dissolved and chili paste is thoroughly mixed.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the coriander and the cucumber and serve immediately.
- Or, store in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator for as long as four days.