Adapted from a recipe by Jessica at allrecipes.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (about a 2-inch piece)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1/2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
- 2 cups steamed white rice or 2 cups cooked rice vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute.
- 2Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. If using chicken, skip to step 5.
- 4Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.
- 5For chicken: add chicken to soup along with mushrooms and poach gently 30-40 minutes until cooked through. Stir in the rice and lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Thai Coconut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.4 mg
- Sodium 1042.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste