1680 hrs 10 mins
Chef #762275's Note:
Light and refreshing savoury soup - perfect accompaniment to Thai curries and best served with hot steamed rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 coriander roots (scraped)
- 4 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
- 1 teaspoon asafetida powder (yellow)
- 2 small fresh hot red chili peppers, chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 400 g tofu, firm pressed, cut into 2 . 5cm pieces
- 1 bunch sorrel, torn
- 2 small hot red chili peppers, extra, sliced diagonally
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 liters water
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup white radish, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1Combine 4 litres water; 1 cup carrots, sliced; 1 cup cabbage, sliced; 1/2 cup celery stalks, sliced; 1 cup white radish, sliced; and 1.5 tsp salt in a saucepan and boil for 1 hour, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- 2Strain, and set aside.
- 3Pound the coriander roots, lemongrass, asafetida and chili to a rough paste using mortar and pestle. Alternatively, process in a blender with a few drops of water.
- 4Boil the vegetable stock in a saucepan over full heat. Drop in the kaffir lime leaves, mushroom, and tomato and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 5Add the spice paste, reduce the heat to a simmer, add the tofu and sorrel and cook for another 2 minutes.
- 6Serve: Divide the extra chili, the soy sauce, lime juice and chopped coriander into large deep serving bowls and pour the boiling soup over. Serve with hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot & Sour Tom Yum Soup
Serving Size: 1 (985 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.1
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1465.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves