Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a Filipino recipe.It is not sweet but absolutely tender and mouth watering, served with rice. This is not Mexican adobo. Recipe uses coconut milk. If you would like to sprinkle pure brown cane sugar on top of cooked meat and rice on each individual serving, it is also very good with a slice of lemon.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 8 pork steaks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 -2 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup nakano rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- In large heavy deep frying pan, melt Crisco.
- Fry pork steak until slightly browned on each side. Set on a plate.
- Fry chicken thighs until slightly browned on each side. Set on a plate.
- Pour water in frying pan, and loosen any meat particles.
- Add onions, garlic, bay leaves, 1 dried red pepper,rice vinegar, soy sauce and coconut milk.
- Cook on low heat 15 minutes. Stir from time to time. Take out dried red pepper. Throw away.
- Preheat oven 325*.
- In baking pan with cover, add browned meat.
- Add with sauce. Bake 1 1/2 hours.
- Throw away bay leaves before serving. I like to make a platter of rice and put chicken and pork with sauce on top. I also serve lemon slices dipped in salt. Placed on the side of the platter.