1/2 Photos of Laab - Thai Ground Beef Salad
Buster's friend's Note:
Wonderful fast summer or anytime meal that comes together quickly once you have your ingredients prepped. Mise en place very helpful with this dish. From Taste of Thai - thank you! Use a nice butter lettuce for this - core the head & rinse the leaves well. Dry & have plenty available - use 2 heads if they seem small - 1 per serving! I entered 12 leaves simply because the program required a number - we just keep a couple of heads available when we make this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef (ground pork may be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, divided (about 3-4 limes)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced fresh
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaf, chopped, plus whole leaves
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 1Toast rice in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium-high heat. Cook rice, shaking pan frequently until rice turns golden, about 8 minutes.
- 2While rice is toasting, combine beef, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, Fish Sauce, shallots and ginger in a bowl.
- 3When rice is golden, pour on plate to cool. In same skillet over high heat, add beef mixture. Cook, breaking meat into small pieces, about 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- 4Add remaining tablespoon of lime juice, scallions, mint, cilantro, Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce and sugar to meat. Mix well.
- 5Add cooled rice to spice grinder or blender, and grind into a sandy powder. Add to meat mixture and mix well.
- 6Spoon laab into a serving bowl lined with lettuce leaves, or serve on individual leaves for a pretty presentation. Garnish with whole mint leaves.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laab - Thai Ground Beef Salad
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.8
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 910.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 47.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: