Wonderful fast summer or anytime meal that comes together quickly once you have your ingredients prepped. Mise en place very helpful with this dish. From Taste of Thai - thank you! Use a nice butter lettuce for this - core the head & rinse the leaves well. Dry & have plenty available - use 2 heads if they seem small - 1 per serving! I entered 12 leaves simply because the program required a number - we just keep a couple of heads available when we make this.
- 2 tablespoons jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef (ground pork may be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, divided (about 3-4 limes)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced fresh
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, chopped, plus whole leaves
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 12 lettuce leaves
- Toast rice in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium-high heat. Cook rice, shaking pan frequently until rice turns golden, about 8 minutes.
- While rice is toasting, combine beef, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, Fish Sauce, shallots and ginger in a bowl.
- When rice is golden, pour on plate to cool. In same skillet over high heat, add beef mixture. Cook, breaking meat into small pieces, about 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining tablespoon of lime juice, scallions, mint, cilantro, Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce and sugar to meat. Mix well.
- Add cooled rice to spice grinder or blender, and grind into a sandy powder. Add to meat mixture and mix well.
- Spoon laab into a serving bowl lined with lettuce leaves, or serve on individual leaves for a pretty presentation. Garnish with whole mint leaves.