- 8 ounces sirloin tip steaks, 1" thick
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- to taste romaine lettuce leaves or 1 baby greens
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Sprinkle the sirloin with soy sauce and rub it into the surface. Broil or grill until done to your liking, about 5 minutes on each side for rare.
- Let the steak relax for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Toss with the onion and cucumber and red bell pepper.
- In a small bowl combine the lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Taste dressing and add sugar to taste. Pour over the salad an toss well to combine. Arrange the salad on lettuce and serve warm.
Delicious! I'm just starting to try some Thai foods and this was very good. I even had the fish sauce already and had never used it! The dressing is the best part. I added some chopped cilantro, which was really, really tasty (give it a try, I think you'd like it!). I also toosed the chopped steak with a little more soy sauce to give it some extra flavor. Thanks for posting this!!
I followed the recipe exactly but my onion was a little overwhelming. I think when I make this again -(and I will) - I will reduce the amount of onion. Other than that this is a quick and easy recipe that "hits the spot'.
I made a very fast version of this with sliced deli roast beef, and it still turned out delish. Works great for lunches to grab and take to work! I love the tangy-sweet combo, and it really satisfied my cravings for a good Thai dish.