Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got the basis for this recipe out of Hot Sour Salty Sweet by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid--an excellent cookbook for all manner of Southeast Asian cookery. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients--this goes together super quickly. Chicken or tofu could easily be used in place of the pork.
- 1⁄2 lb dried rice noodles (2-4 mm wide)
- 8 ounces boneless pork, thinly sliced into narrow 1-1/2-inch strips (chicken would also work)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons commercial paad Thai sauce (make your own sauce by steeping 2 T. tamarind pulp in 1/3 c. warm water, then straining)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 lb bean sprouts, rinsed and drained (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 scallions, trimmed, smashed, cut into 1-1/2-inch lengths
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons cilantro
- Before you start cooking this, get all the ingredients lined up and ready to go, because this cooks really quickly.
- Soak rice noodles in hot water for 20 minutes, till soft. Drain just before using.
- Toss pork slices with sugar in a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine tamarind water (or pad thai sauce), tamari, fish sauce, and peanut butter, stirring till smooth. In a third small bowl, beat eggs with red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Place all bowls near your cooktop.
- Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 1 T. peanut oil and 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil; when it's hot, add minced garlic and stir fry till it just begins to turn color, about 15 seconds. Toss in the pork and stir fry about 90 seconds, turning so each side gets seared. Add egg to pork and garlic and let cook undisturbed just till it begins to set up, then stir till well scrambled. Remove egg mixture from wok; keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in wok. Toss in drained noodles and stir fry vigorously, folding and pressing them against the sides of the wok till they become very pliable, about a minute. Push noodles up the sides of the wok and add bean sprouts and scallions, stirring till heated through. Mix noodles in and add sauce mixture, stirring till well coated.
- Add the reserved egg mixture and stir till well mixed. Turn out onto plates. Garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro.