2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
echo echo's Note:
Came across this at the Newman's Own website. Chicken and pineapple salsa and red curry paste--three of my favorites together! They say if necessary you can substitute 1 tsp curry powder plus 1 tsp chili powder for the red curry paste in the recipe. Don't mistake cream of coconut for unsweetened coconut milk. Cooking time is time to both cook and chill rice (although I would make the rice in a rice cooker rather than on the stove and omit the salt).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup newman own pineapple salsa
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunk (about 1/4 pineapple, chopped)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1In 2-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add rice and salt.
- 2Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18 minutes.
- 3Chill in 1-quart covered bowl at least 2 hours until cold.
- 4Whisk pineapple salsa and red curry paste together until smooth.
- 5In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat.
- 6Add eggs and scramble; remove from skillet and set aside.
- 7In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 8Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender.
- 9Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 10Increase heat to medium-high; add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- 11Add chilled rice, coconut milk and salsa mixture to skillet and mix well.
- 12Add pineapple cubes, scrambled eggs and 1/3 cup basil, tossing to mix well.
- 13To serve, remove skillet from heat; spoon contents into a serving bowl; garnish with remaining basil.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pina Colada Thai Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.9
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 661.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste