Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My family adores the traditional pandan chicken - but it is deep fried. I wanted to created a grilled version that was safe and lighter, and here is what I came up with. It's safe for the BBQ and cuts out most of the fat! Great success!
- 3 shallots
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 dried chilies, soaked
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 12 pandan leaves
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a blender. Put in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Cut each thigh in 2, then add to boiling marinade. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken cool in the marinade. It can be covered and kept in the fridge overnight at this point.
- When cooled, wrap the chicken pieces in the pandan leaves and secure with a toothpick. I found that I need approx 2 leaves per piece.
- Fire up the grill, and place your parcels on the heat. Just enough to char the leaves and reheat the chicken.