Ginger is the piquant note in the marinade, the vinaigrette, and the vegetables for this entree salad. The green and stir-fry are topped with marinated seared steak slices. Recipe by Chef Roy Yamaguchi, Roy's Restaurant, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 (4 ounce) New York strip steaks
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced kaffir lime leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1/4 cup shredded radicchio
- 1/2 maui onions or 1/2 other sweet onion, cut into ½ inch thick rings
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup watercress leaf, chopped
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 2 ounces chinese bean thread noodles
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, toasted and crushed
- 1---To make the marinade---.
- 2In a shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients.
- 3Add the steak strips and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- 4In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the sesame oil and sauté the steak for 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- 5Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6Using slotted spoon, transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 7---To make the vinaigrette---.
- 8In the same pan over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the lemongrass, shallot, ginger, garlic, and lime leaves for about 10 seconds, or until lightly browned.
- 9Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 10Set aside.
- 11---To make the stir-fry---.
- 12In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté all of the ingredients except the noodles for 1 minute, tossing frequently.
- 13Add the noodles and cook 1 minute.
- 14Set aside.
- 15---To serve---.
- 16Slice the steak into 1-inch to 2-inch strips.
- 17Divide the salad greens among 4 salad plates.
- 18Divide the stir-fry sprout mixture over the greens, and then top with beef strips.
- 19Drizzle vinaigrette around the salads and garnish with macadamia nuts.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Thai Beef Salad with Lemongrass-Mint Vinaigrette and Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.9
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 1186.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 26.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves
mixed baby greens