Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ginger is the piquant note in the marinade, the vinaigrette, and the vegetables for this entree salad. The green and stir-fry are topped with marinated seared steak slices. Recipe by Chef Roy Yamaguchi, Roy's Restaurant, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii.
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 (4 ounce) New York strip steaks
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced kaffir lime leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1⁄4 cup shredded radicchio
- 1⁄2 maui onions or 1⁄2 other sweet onion, cut into ½ inch thick rings
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup watercress leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 2 ounces chinese bean thread noodles
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, toasted and crushed
- ---To make the marinade---.
- In a shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients.
- Add the steak strips and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the sesame oil and sauté the steak for 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- ---To make the vinaigrette---.
- In the same pan over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the lemongrass, shallot, ginger, garlic, and lime leaves for about 10 seconds, or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Set aside.
- ---To make the stir-fry---.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté all of the ingredients except the noodles for 1 minute, tossing frequently.
- Add the noodles and cook 1 minute.
- Set aside.
- ---To serve---.
- Slice the steak into 1-inch to 2-inch strips.
- Divide the salad greens among 4 salad plates.
- Divide the stir-fry sprout mixture over the greens, and then top with beef strips.
- Drizzle vinaigrette around the salads and garnish with macadamia nuts.
This was incredible!! There's nothing more to say except, "Wow!"
I only had some of the required ingredients, and not very much time, when I made this. I made the marinade and vinegrette as written and served it over a mixed greens and vegetable salad. It was delicious! I could have doubled the dressing and been quite happy.