Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The spicy, sweet, tangy flavors of Thai beef salad are a great way to showcase leftover roast beef. The recipe makes about 10 wraps in about an hour.Why not a hand-held salad? These are great for a buffet dinner - where you can have each diner assemble their own wrap. CuisineAtHome, Issue 41, Spiralbound Volume 7.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste (more or less, as needed) or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less, as needed)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 ounces rice sticks (mai fun)
- 2 cups roast beef, thinly sliced, julienned (from deli)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cucumber, seeded, bias sliced
- 1 yellow peppers or 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 10 leaves red leaf lettuce (leaves make cups) or 10 large bibb lettuce (leaves make cups)
- PREPARE DRESSING:
- Simmer water, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and chili garlic paste in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce until dressing thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- FOR THE WRAPS:.
- Fry noodles in small batches in oil heated to 375°F; Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- THE "INSIDES" OF WRAPS:.
- Prepare remaining ingredients and arrange on a large platter.
- TO SERVE:.
- Ask each diner to start with a lettuce leaf, then follow with some roast beef, fried noodles and vegetables.
- Drizzle with some dressing before eating.