Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a great first course for any Thai curry or main course. The aroma is wonderful.
Make and share this Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Kai) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped and bruised
- 5 slices ginger or 5 slices galangal, thick
- 3 hot green chili peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 bunch coriander, stems and roots finely chopped,leaves reserved
- 350 g chicken breasts, cut into thin broad slices
- 400 ml thick coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Pour the chicken stock into a wok over a high heat.
- Add the Kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, chillies, coriander stems and roots.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes pressing the solids with a wooden spoon to release the flavour until reduced by half.
- Add coconut milk and simmer gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir for 30 seconds until chicken is just cooked.
- Stir through the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with coriander leaves.