1/2 Photos of Thai Chicken Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The next time you roast a chicken, don't even think of throwing away all those lovely bones. Instead, plop them in a pot and use them to make this hearty soup. You can make it go further by adding some prawns or strips of chicken to the broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the broth
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1/2 red chile
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece ginger, chopped (small)
- 1/2 lime, zested
- 2 pieces lemongrass, chopped
- 35 sprigs coriander
For the soup
- 1Place the carcass and all the stock ingredients in a large pan.
- 2Cover with a litre of water and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat until the water is barely simmering and leave to bubble for an hour or so.
- 3You will need to add a cup of water from time to time, to keep the stock topped up.
- 4When the hour is up, strain the broth through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- 5Measure out 150ml of this broth into a pan for the soup.
- 6The rest can be frozen for another day.
- 7Add a dash of soy sauce, the lime juice, red chilli and ginger to the broth and bring it slowly back to the boil.
- 8Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles according to the directions on the packet.
- 9Add the coconut milk, spinach, coriander and noodles to the bubbling broth and leave a few minutes to heat through.
- 10Don't let it come to a boil.
- 11Serve with some spring onions and crushed peanuts scattered on top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.8
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: