1/1 Photo of Thai Fried Rice
1 hr 45 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from "Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved Chinese Recipes and More". This is a U.S. family-style recipe. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when handling jalapenos, and avoid touching the area around your eyes before you can wash your hands. If you prefer, substitute 3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice for the cooked white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 8 ounces ground pork or 8 ounces pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups cooked vegetables, chopped (such as broccoli, zucchini, red bell peppers, carrots, box choy or spinach)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1Bring water and rice to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- 2Transfer rice to large bowl and fluff with fork. Let come to room temperature, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- 4When rice is cold, cook pork in wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat; transfer pork to bowl and set aside.
- 5Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat surface.
- 6Add onion, ginger, jalapeno pepper, garlic and turmeric; stir-fry 4-6 minutes or until onion is very tender.
- 7Stir in fish sauce; mix well. Stir in cold rice, vegetables and pork; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- 8Push rice mixture to side of wok and pour eggs into center. Cook eggs 2-3 minutes or just until set, lifting and stirring to scramble. Stir rice into eggs.
- 9Stir in green onions. Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with cilantro.
- 10Garnish as desired.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.8
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 180.4 mg
- Sodium 803.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 19.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: