Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The paste is the key to a good Thai curry. It is easy to make and brings a depth of flavour and fragrance to the finished dish. This will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge in an airtight container. To freeze, divide into batches in small freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 10 -12 green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 fresh lemongrass, stalks trimmed and outer layer removed, finely chopped
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, 1 large handful
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, 1 handful
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Using a blender or processor, blend all the ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl, cover and chill until required.
HOT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used 2 whole UNseeded jalapenos, and 4 Thai peppers. In place of the shallots a 1/2 vidalia onion, skipped the oil to keep it fat free, and the shrimp paste was omitted for the salt intake is not needed in my families health life styles. And I must say was not missed at all. It`s amazing how the aroma and flavor is like our favorite Thai restaurant! Thanks for the goodness!