From Simply THAI Cooking, by Wandee Young, with adjustments for local ingredients. Prep all ingredients before starting to cook.
- 2 ounces mushrooms, sliced (wood ear mushrooms are very nice, if you can find them)
- 7 ounces soft tofu, sliced in thin, long strips
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bamboo shoot
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1. Assemble and prep all ingredients. Boil 4 cups water in a soup pot. Add soy, black pepper, garlic, sugar, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and salt. Lower heat to medium and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add bamboo shoots and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add tofu and sesame oil and cook 3-5 minutes. Dissolve corstarch in 1 T. water, and stir into soup.
- Slide egg yolks into soup. Turn off the heat, and do not stir. You want the egg to stay in pieces.
- Transfer to soup tureen and garnish with pepper strips and cilantro. Serve immediately.