This is my latest concoction in my mission to bring healthier food to my household. Over the past few weeks I have been using Fridays to try out different versions of healthier burgers. Tonight we had these Thai inspired turkey burgers. They had a fresh taste and I think it is important to use the fresh versions of the ingredients rather than dried spices to get that taste. I had mine on a bun with some crisp lettuce and some fat free mayo and ketchup. I bet they would be really nice with some sweet chili sauce in place of the ketchup and mayo though. These could easily be made up and frozen raw to have ready when short of time. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- Put the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, green onions, cilantro, chili flakes and lime zest into a food processor or chopper along with the water and blitz them until they are finely chopped and combined.
- Add the mixture to the turkey and also put in the egg white.
- Mix the turkey and the other ingredients together by hand until they are well combined.
- Put into the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes for them to firm up a bit.
- Take out of the fridge and shape into four equal sized burger patties.
- Then either fry them off in a pan as you would normally do or do as I do and brush them very lightly with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and cook them on a Foreman type grill. It takes about 8 minutes or so for them to be fully cooked.
Very flavorful Turkey burger. Love the way the flavor was throughtout the meat. Thank You. Made for ZWT6 - Family Picks. No-Nonsense Nibblers
I really love turkey burgers in their own right, not just as a substitute for beef. This is especially so when you have a recipe such as this one which adds lots of flavors which pair well with the meat's flavor. Paired this down to two servings and made as directed without the water. (If you are using breast meat, the water is a must, but for lean ground turkey, I would consider how firm you like your finished result.) The flavors were fabulous and zinged. Thanks!
Oh Sarah_Jayne! These are great! We love Thai flavors and I like having them in a burger like this. I will be keeping this recipe handy!