This I have to make yet. Found it at the ImportFood.com sight. A quote from them "The pineapple adds a touch of tart sweetness to this dish. It has a rich creamy texture, and a red coloration that is an attractive complement to the shrimp. If you want to be a little fancy you can serve it in pineapple skin bowls." In place of palm sugar you can use Brown sugar!
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup pineapple (cubed or pulped)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 16 prawns, about 3 inches long
- 2 -3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Thai red chili pepper, slivered
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Peel, devein, and behead the shrimp, leaving only the small tail shells on.
- Drop two tomatoes into boiling water for about a minute, then remove to cold water, peel, quarter, discard the seed pulp, and chop the flesh.
- You want 2 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes.
- In a little oil in a medium hot wok, briefly saute the garlic and basil, removing it and reserving it when the aroma is fully developed.
- Cook the curry paste briefly to develop the aroma, then add half the coconut milk, the fish sauce, tomatoes, pineapple, lime juice and sugar.
- Stir to combine fully.
- Add the prawns and cook until they turn slightly pink and opaque.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk, the lime leaves and slivered chili, at the same time returning the sauted garlic and basil to the pan.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice.
We love thai food and this recipe very much!
I used fresh pineapple, thai-basil and only a pinch sugar. DELICIOUS! Thanks for this recipe
i have made similar recipes, the coconut milk, sambal olek, fish sauce and lime are the standard ingredients but the pineapple is a nice addition, adds a hint of sweetness. i only used a pinch of sugar and found that to be enough. nice easy dinner
I would give this 6 stars if i could!! wow, I made my own red curry paste to add to this recipe. Such a great balance of flavors. I didnt change much to the recipe other than added a bit more red curry paste because I like to have it hot. Thank you