Tasty, the peanut sauce makes this a lip smacking dish, it goes with almost any Thai meal. I sometimes change the prawns for chicken or even pork, it's that good.
- 1 lb raw shelled king prawns
- 4 red chilies, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced length ways
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
for the peanut sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 3 fresh lime leaves
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat half of the oil in a wok and fry the garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
- Add the chillies lime leaves, lemon grass and the curry powder, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk cinnamon stick, peanut butter, tamarind juice, fish sauce, sugar and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins, stir to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and fry the prawns till they are pink and just firm.
- Mix the prawns with the sauce and serve garnished with the sliced spring onions, red chillies and coriander leaves.
- serve with lemon rice. Wonderful.
Tasty doesn't begin to say it, mmm, this is one of those sauces that you just have to lick off the plate, excuse my lack of good breeding! Bursting with flavour, the delicious bite of chillies along with the rich smoothness of a peanutbutter/coconut milk sauce, thai flavouring with a delicate curry undertaste, I would eat this every day, quite happily! Simple to prepare, quickly done, DH and I enjoyed this on a night when the youngsters were out, so we got to enjoy it ALL to ourselves! Thank you, Brian, for an excellent dining experience!
Wow,The best Satay.All the flavours come together superbly.Can't rate this highly enough.Anyone can do this.To any learners just make sure you have all your ingredients chopped and measured ready to go.