Tasty, the peanut sauce makes this a lip smacking dish, it goes with almost any Thai meal. I sometimes change the prawns for chicken or even pork, it's that good.
- 1 lb raw shelled king prawns
- 4 red chilies, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced length ways
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
for the peanut sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 3 fresh lime leaves
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat half of the oil in a wok and fry the garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
- Add the chillies lime leaves, lemon grass and the curry powder, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk cinnamon stick, peanut butter, tamarind juice, fish sauce, sugar and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins, stir to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and fry the prawns till they are pink and just firm.
- Mix the prawns with the sauce and serve garnished with the sliced spring onions, red chillies and coriander leaves.
- serve with lemon rice. Wonderful.