1/3 Photos of Tom Yum Kung
So easy to prepare. So good to eat. Thin sliced chicken can be subbed for the shrimp. Mushrooms may be omitted. You can add more vegetables (like eggplant, celery, tomatoes, etc). Serve with rice or noodles. Any type of mushroom can be used in the recipe. This is an online recipe that I modified slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced thinly (tough outer leaves and bulb removed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons galanga powder (Thai ginger)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (or one large strip of lime peel)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 small chili pepper, de-seeded and sliced (as hot as you like or mild)
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced (any color)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly (or any small mushroom)
- 12 large raw shrimp, shells removed
- 1 (11 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1Pour stock and lime juice into a deep cooking pot.
- 2Place lemongrass in a food processor and process until finely grated. Add to pot. The bulb can be thrown into the pot for additional flavor (remove before serving).
- 3Add the galanga powder to the pot.
- 4Add garlic, chilies, peppers, and Kaffir leaves (or lime peel). Bring to a mild boil.
- 5Add the mushrooms and shrimp. Gently simmer 'til shrimp is pink.
- 6Turn down the heat to low then add the coconut milk and fish sauce. Taste to adjust seasonings, adding more chilies and/or fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired.
- 7Serve in bowls with cilantro sprinkled over. And on the side, steamed jasmine rice and quarters of fresh lime.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tom Yum Kung
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.7
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.4 mg
- Sodium 1461.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves