Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A not-too-hot curry with Thai flavours. I absolutely adore this dish. It's better than restaurant quality. Don't leave out the fish sauce, it's the magic ingredient in Thai food and doesn't taste anything like it smells!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 crushed garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 400 ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 500 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger gently until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the curry paste and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes until it's coated in the spice mix and almost cooked.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, fish sauce, coriander and sugar.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with jasmine rice.
This was amongst the best dishes we have cooked so far. I have made lots of similar curries but never thought of adding tomatoes and paste. What a difference they made! The only alterations we made were to omit the sugar and throw in some red and green capsicum at the end. This is my sort of food thanks dale!!
Loved this dish. The sauce is very similar in flavor to one I used to get at a favorite restaurant. I'm delighted to find something I can now make at home. I cheated a little and used canned diced tomatoes with garlic, and used chicken breast meat, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. Really enjoyed this quick, flavorful curry. Thanks, dale!
2 onions seemed like a lot, so I only used one and subbed chicken breasts for the thighs. This was a very mild, creamy coconut curry and the tomato was a nice touch. Next time I'll add extra curry paste and maybe a little extra tomato.