This is my favorite soup. I've tried it many ways and this is my absolute favorite. It is adapted from "Thai Vegetarian Cooking" by Vatcharin Bhumichitr. I always put too many things in it but this recipe is restrained and beautiful. Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot or 1 inch galangal
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, i don't add it) (optional)
- 4 small chilies, crushed (or more)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Heat the coconut milk with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, soy, chilis, sugar and stock.
- 2Simmer with the lid on the pot ten minutes and strain.
- 3Put strained soup base into.
- 4Simmer until cauliflower is al dente.
- 5Remove from heat and lemon juice.
- 6Stir once, place in bowls and garnish with cilantro.
- 7(optional) pour a teaspoon of sesame chili oil on top for more kick.
- 8*I am lucky enough to have a kaffir tree but if you cannot find kaffir leaves use lemon leaves (meyer lemon works well) or lime zest as a last resort.
- 9**Cauliflower is used in the book and works wonderfully with this soup but i like to mix it up and use mushrooms, tofu, tomatoes, water chestnuts, bell peppers, and even vermicelli noodles.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Tom Ka
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.6
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 531.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves