Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my favorite soup. I've tried it many ways and this is my absolute favorite. It is adapted from "Thai Vegetarian Cooking" by Vatcharin Bhumichitr. I always put too many things in it but this recipe is restrained and beautiful. Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a meal.
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot or 1 inch galangal
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, i don't add it) (optional)
- 4 small chilies, crushed (or more)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat the coconut milk with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, soy, chilis, sugar and stock.
- Simmer with the lid on the pot ten minutes and strain.
- Put strained soup base into.
- Simmer until cauliflower is al dente.
- Remove from heat and lemon juice.
- Stir once, place in bowls and garnish with cilantro.
- (optional) pour a teaspoon of sesame chili oil on top for more kick.
- *I am lucky enough to have a kaffir tree but if you cannot find kaffir leaves use lemon leaves (meyer lemon works well) or lime zest as a last resort.
- **Cauliflower is used in the book and works wonderfully with this soup but i like to mix it up and use mushrooms, tofu, tomatoes, water chestnuts, bell peppers, and even vermicelli noodles.
LOVED it! I added other veggies too like Broccoli, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, onion & bell pepper. I doubled the liquids to make up for all the added veggies. SOOO GOOD!
This is probably one of the best soups I've ever had!